The charity and how you can help
Each year the DFNI Charity Ball and you, our friends of the travel-retail and duty-free industry, join together and raise money for worthwhile charities and make a huge difference in people's lives.
This year the DFNI Charity Ball, which takes place on the 5 April 2019 at the Royal Lancaster, London, will raise money for the Improving Education in Ghana project by the Fonds Solidaire de Valrhona charity.
More about this worthy cause
Fonds Solidaire de Valrhona , a fine chocolate maker, is engaged in a long-term partnership with eight cocoa producing communities in Ghana.
In 2016 a study revealed that 30% of children in the cocoa producing communities studied in unsafe conditions; this highlighted the urgent need for access to higher quality education and facilities in the area.
In 2017, Fonds Solidaire de Valrhona launched the project Improving Education in Ghana, a renovation programme seeking to improve education conditions for the 3,988 children that were registered at school in the area. In 2018, two schools (Pieso Community Kindergarten and Wassa N'Kran Primary School) were rebuilt and re-opened, creating nine new classes for a total of 518 children.
For 2019, the priority is rebuilding the Atwereboanda Community College. The college will be fully rebuilt with six classrooms to rectify its deteriorating state and to help with the need to reduce the number of students per class. The work is scheduled to be completed in July 2019 at a cost of approximately $178,000.
Looking to the future, for 2020-2021 Fonds Solidaire de Valrhona's programaims to offer good education conditions to their eight partner communities.
How you can help
• Donations: All prizes donated will be used in the live auction, silent auctions, raffles and many other fundraising games.
• Main Auction Prizes: These need to be high value items (valued at £500 – £3,000) or an experience-based package or holidays break (usually inclusive of air tickets)
• Silent Auction Prize: Last year, we raised a great deal of additional money through a silent auction of products valued between £100 and £800. We received handbags, beauty products, sports memorabilia and jewellery.
• Goody Bags: These are products and gifts from any category: fragrances, confectionery, accessories, jewellery and so on.
• Cash Donations: All cash donations are welcome both prior to the event and on the night.
Click here to download a donations form